Perfect Roast Beef (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Learn how to make old fashioned, classic, easy and perfect roast beef in oven, in one pan, from scratch with simple ingredients. It’s homemade with garlic, Italian herbs, black pepper. You will have delicious, tender, melt in your mouth slices every time.
The holidays are coming, and nothing says family and comfort food like a juicy, tender slice of roast. This recipe is simple and delicious, and the leftovers are so versatile! This Easy Pot Roast Recipe (Stovetop & Oven) and Italian Pot Roast (One Pot) will also help bring flavor and comfort to this season.
How to Make Perfect Roast Beef From Scratch In The Oven?
- Make a herb seasoning mixture- Mix together olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, garlic.
- Coat the roast– Make sure to really spread a thick coating.
- Bake- Do this uncovered.
- Check for desired doneness– Use a meat thermometer.
- Let it rest– Cover lightly with foil paper.
- Enjoy- Cut slices and dig in.
Roast Beef Gravy
Take the drippings from the roast after it is cooked, and simply add a corn starch slurry and cook it over medium heat to thicken it. You can also enjoy any of these other gravy recipes too:
What Sides to Serve With Homemade Roast Beef Recipe?
Potatoes are a classic choice to serve alongside this meat. Try any of these:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (One Pot)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower (One Pot) – This is a healthier version with the same feel.
- Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan)
Roasted vegetables are another perfect pairing. Give any of these a shot:
- Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Carrots (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Broccoli (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Green Beans (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Asparagus (One Pan).
Casseroles are always a delicious side. All of these would work well:
- Green Bean Casserole (One Pot)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (One Pan)
Who can resist a really good side of salad? These are some family favorites:
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Onion Salad (One Bowl)
- Cucumber Onion Salad (One Bowl)
- Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl)
Bread is my favorite side. Try these:
- Dinner rolls
- Garlic bread
- Garlic rolls
- Crusty bread
Refrigerate– In a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Can you freeze roast beef?– Yes. Once it’s cooked and has cooled down, store it in the freezer in a sealed container for 2-3 months. Let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then heat in the oven.
Reheat– Thaw, if frozen, and then reheat in the oven. It will become “more done” when you reheat it.
Add wine– Mix a little red wine while cooking for a deeper flavor.
Add balsamic vinegar- This will add flavor and help tenderize the beef too.
Add vegetables- Such as onions, potatoes, carrots, celery. They add lots of flavor and aroma.
What to do with leftovers? Enjoy them as a pizza topping, add-ins for salads, soups, hash. They are also a great filling in sandwiches, burgers, sliders, wraps and tacos.
Add other herbs– Such as basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, or fennel. Fresh or dried herbs can be used.
Make it spicy Add more red chili flakes or cayenne pepper to increase the heat factor.
Tips And Techniques
What is a good cut of meat for roast beef? Bottom round roast, top round roast, ribeye roast, beef tenderloin roast, sirloin roast.
How long should you roast beef (roast beef cooking time)? The USDA Website states that it should be cooked at 325 degrees for 30-35 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer. Steaks and roasts should be cooked to 145 degrees F (medium doneness) and then rested for at least 3 minutes.
How do I cook a roast beef without drying it out? Leaving the fat on it will help retain moisture. Also, make sure not to cook it over 145 degrees F (medium doneness).
Why is my roast beef tough? It’s probably over-cooked. Typically cooking the meat any higher than 145 degrees (medium doneness) will start making the beef tough and chewy.
Do you put water in the pan when cooking roast? No, I do not do this. Some people believe that it adds moisture. However, water will dilute the delicious juices that develop around the roast, and cause the meat to have less flavor.
Should you sear beef before roasting? Some people like to do this for the crusty top. I did not find it necessary for this dish.
Do you cook with the fat side up or down? Cook with the fat side up allowing the fat to melt and run down, into, and around the beef giving it maximum flavor and tenderness.
Don’t trim fat– It drips down during roasting and adds extra flavor and juices. Plus, it keeps the meat super moist.
Should you cover beef with foil when roasting? No, that’s not necessary.
Letting the meat rest is very important– That’s because it allows the juices to get re-absorbed into the meat making it very flavorful and juicy.
Adjust amount of seasoning- Add more or less Italian seasoning and garlic, based on your preference.
Use a meat thermometer- That is the only way to find out the exact temperature of the meat and allows you to remove meat from the oven at your preferred “doneness.”
Use unsalted butter– Because that prevents the meat from getting too salty.
More One Pot Beef Recipes
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Beef Curry (Indian)
- Instant Pot Italian Beef
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- Easy Beef Stew Recipe (One Pot)
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich
- Beef Noodle Soup (One Pot)
One Pot Roast Beef
Learn how to make classic, easy, perfect roast beef in oven from scratch with simple ingredients. It's homemade with garlic, Italian herbs, black pepper.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter Unsalted, Melted
- Salt To taste, I usually add 2 tsp but add more or less based on your preference
- Pepper To taste, I usually add 1.5 tsp but add more or less based on your preference
- 2.5 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp Red chili flakes Optional
- 6 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 4 pounds Round roast Boneless
Add olive oil, butter, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, red chili flakes, garlic in large baking dish or roasting pan (9×13). Mix it together into a thick paste. You can also do this separately in a small bowl but I didn't want to make another dish dirty.
Place the roast in the baking dish and coat it well with the garlic herb mixture, using your clean hands.
Bake uncovered in a preheated oven for 2.5-3 hours, at 325 degrees F.
Use a meat thermometer to check for desired doneness before removing roast from oven.For rare doneness (cool red center), remove roast from oven when it reaches 125 degrees F. For medium-rare doneness (warm red center), remove roast from oven when it reaches 135 degrees F. For medium doneness (slightly pink center), remove roast from oven when it reaches 145 degrees F. For well done roast (little or no pink), remove from oven when the meat reaches 150-160 degrees degrees F.
Once your remove the dish from oven, cover lightly with foil paper and let the meat rest for 15-20 minutes. Temperature will continue to rise while resting. Some people recommend removing toast from oven when thermometer registers 5-10 degrees F lower than desired doneness.
Cut slices and enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.