Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy hashbrown casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in oven. Rich and creamy. Loaded with shredded potatoes, sour cream, cheese.
Also known as “shredded potato casserole” or “hash brown bake,” this dish is even better than the Cracker Barrel version! It is the best for parties and holidays because it is so simple to double or even triple for a crowd, and you can make it ahead of time. If you are a fan of casseroles, be sure to try out this Green Bean Casserole (One Pot) and this Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan) and this unbelievable Meatball Casserole (One Pan).
How To Make Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole From Scratch?
- Mix ingredients together in casserole dish– This includes hash brown potatoes, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, cheddar cheese.
- Spread it out– Use a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Top mixture- Add cheddar cheese and butter.
- Bake- Until butter is all absorbed and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Broil- This is an optional step to make crunchy cheese topping.
- Enjoy- Garnish with fresh parsley and dig in.
What Sides To Serve With Easy Hashbrown Casserole?
My family loves to serve this with brunch! We serve it alongside egg casseroles, frittatas, breakfast burritos, omelettes, sandwiches.
You can also serve it with chicken. Try these recipes:
If you are serving it on Thanksgiving, be sure to add these turkey recipes to complete your menu:
Beef goes really well with today’s dish. Try these:
If you are a fan of ham, serve this side alongside my super popular Slow Cooker Ham, especially for the holidays.
Salads are always a good healthy choice. Be sure to try one of these:
Refrigerate– Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– You can freeze this dish in a sealed container for up to 1 month.
Reheat– The dairy products may separate a little upon thawing, but you can mix it back together and add a little more cheese when reheating in the microwave or oven.
Make ahead instructions– You can prepare and assemble this casserole ahead of time in a baking dish. Then, bake it 1 hour prior to serving!
Hamburger hashbrown casserole– Add cooked hamburger for a heartier version.
Try ground turkey– For a healthier version. You can even use leftover shredded Thanksgiving turkey.
Add ham– Add cooked cubed ham from a leftover meal.
Chicken hashbrown casserole– Mix in cooked cubed chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken for a more filling dish.
Mix in sausage– You can use ground pork sausage or even sliced sausage. It must be pre-cooked though.
Add bacon– You can either sprinkle crumbled bacon on top or mix in cooked bacon strips.
Try other types of cheeses– Such as sottage cheese, mozzarella, feta, or even pepper jack for more flavor.
Make it vegetarian– Use cream of mushroom in place of cream of chicken soup.
Add spice– Add crushed red chili flakes, or even jalapenos.
Make it Mexican– Add a can of green chilis, Mexican seasoning, and top with roasted corn.
Add vegetables– Such as diced onions, bell peppers, or even mushrooms.
Garnish options– Try fresh herbs like parsley, chives, or dill.
Other topping ideas– I used lots of shredded cheese but you can try a mixture of cornflakes and butter or crumbled butter crackers or Ritz crackers before baking.
Tips And Techniques
Cream of chicken substitute– Adding additional sour cream in place of the cream of chicken will work just fine, or you can use another type of soup such as cream of celery or cream of mushroom.
Make sure to thaw and pat dry the hash browns– This removes excess moisture and keeps the casserole from being watery and runny. Do not skip this step!
Use unsalted butter– To prevent the dish from becoming too salty.
Use full-fat ingredients– This provides the best and richest flavor.
How to make mixing easier? You can mix together these ingredients in a large bowl and then spread it in a greased casserole dish. I prefer to do it all in the baking dish, just so there are less dishes to clean up.
How to get a crunchy cheese topping? Turn on the “Broil” setting and broil for 2-4 minutes. This is optional but I highly recommend it.
Fresh hash browns vs. Store-bought hash browns– Either can be used. They both yield good results. Store-bought bags are obviously more convenient.
Do not cover with foil while baking- Because when it’s covered, the excess moisture and liquid does not evaporate and escape, creating a watery mess.
Adjust seasonings- Use more or less of onion powder and garlic powder, compared to the quantities stated below.
More One Pot Potato And Casserole Recipes
- Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan)
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges (One Pan)
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries (One Pan)
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe (One Pot)
- Oven Roasted Potatoes (One Pan).
One Pot Hashbrown Casserole
- 1 bag Hashbrowns, Frozen, 32 oz. bag, Thawed and patted dry of excess water
- 1 can Cream of chicken soup, 10.5 oz. can
- 1/2 cup Cream cheese, 8 oz. package, Softened at room temperature, Full fat
- 3/4 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, Shredded, Full fat, Divided
- 1/3 cup Butter, Unsalted, Melted
- Mix together hashbrown potatoes, cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, half the cheddar cheese in a large casserole dish (9×13) and spread it out evenly.Note: You can mix together these ingredients in a large bowl and then spread it in a greased casserole dish.
- Top mixture with remaining cheddar cheese.
- Pour melted butter on top but do not mix.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until butter is all absorbed and cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Optional: Turn on the "Broil" setting and broil for 2-4 minutes for a crunchy cheese topping. Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.