Scalloped Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy scalloped sweet potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pan. Loaded with rich and creamy cheese, butter, garlic and dried herbs. Also known as sweet potato au gratin.
I love this spin on traditional scalloped potatoes which is usually made with regular white potatoes. This version uses sweet potatoes, and I love the flavor and rich color they add to this dish. It is a great side to make for Thanksgiving, or any holiday this season. Hasselback Sweet Potatoes (One Pan) and Candied Sweet Potatoes (One Pot) are also delicious ways to get sweet potatoes on the table this time of year.
How To Make Scalloped Sweet Potatoes Recipe From Scratch?
- Make roux- Heat butter, add garlic, add flour and cook until golden brown with a nutty flavor.
- Add milk, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, salt, pepper, ginger powder, Italian seasoning- Mix until combined.
- Bring to a boil– Then, remove from heat.
- Add cheese– And mix until melted.
- Assemble- Arrange sliced sweet potatoes in a baking dish.
- Pour milk/cheese mixture on top- Spread evenly so the potatoes are covered.
- Add cheese- Sprinkle more shredded cheese on top.
- Cover with foil– And bake.
- Remove foil– And bake for a few more minutes.
- Enjoy– Garnish fresh parsley and dig in!
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Au Gratin Recipe?
These potatoes are the perfect compliment to any protein main dish such as:
- Slow Cooker Ham
- Roast Turkey Breast (One Pan)
- Easy Thanksgiving Turkey (One Pan)
- Grilled Chicken Breast
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot)
- Grilled or roasted sausage
- Baked salmon
- Roast Beef (One Pan)
Refrigerate– Store leftovers in a sealed container for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing because dairy does not thaw well.
Reheat– In the microwave or oven.
Add other seasonings– Such as cinnamon, nutmeg, or all- spice.
Add other herbs– Like fresh or dried rosemary, basil, thyme, or sage.
Add other cheeses– You can also use equal quantities of cheddar and mozzarella. I don’t prefer too much cheddar because it has a very strong over-powering flavor.
Make it vegan/healthier– Use vegan butter, dairy free milk like almond milk, oat milk or coconut milk, and use vegan cheeses.
Add bacon– This adds a nice salty contrast to the sweet potatoes. You can also use bacon crumbles to garnish, and bacon grease in addition to the butter for more flavor.
Add ham– This is a great way to use up leftover ham and make a heartier dish.
Add cranberries– I prefer dried cranberries for this dish. Fresh cranberries are too tart for this dish.
Add nuts– Such as walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios or cashews.
Make it spicy– Add crushed red chili flakes, or a dash of cayenne pepper.
Tips & Techniques
Why is my gratin watery? The ingredients may not have been measured properly, or more flour may need to be added to thicken the cheese/milk mixture.
How to make this dish truly one pan dish? Prepare the cheese mixture in a large oven-safe skillet on the stovetop, and then gently mix in the sliced sweet potatoes. You can also arrange them nicely, but you will have to make sure the sweet potatoes are fully covered with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake. Then, remove foil and bake. This way, you won’t have to make a casserole dish dirty.
Evenly slice the sweet potatoes– This can be easily accomplished with a mandolin slicer, or with your excellent sharp knife skills.
What to do if my cheese mixture is too thick? If the cheese mixture is too thick, you can mix in 1/4 cup more milk or heavy cream.
How do I know if the scalloped sweet potatoes are done? They are ready when the top is golden brown and the cheesy mixture is bubbling and the sweet potatoes are cooked through and tender.
Use a non-stick pan– To prevent the potatoes from sticking and burning plus this makes clean up easier.
More One Pot Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Chili (One Pot)
- Sweet Potato Hash (One Pan)
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges (One Pan)
- Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Sweet Potato Soup (One Pot)
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Sweet Potatoes (One Pan)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes (One Pot)
One Pan Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Easy scalloped sweet potatoes recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pan. Loaded with rich and creamy cheese, butter, garlic and dried herbs.
- 1/4 cup Butter Unsalted
- 2 cloves Garlic Finely minced
- 1.5 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup Milk Whole or 2%
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt To taste
- Pepper To taste
- 1/2 tsp Ginger powder Optional
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 cups Mozzarella cheese Freshly shredded, Can use equal quantitates of mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese Freshly shredded, Can use equal quantitates of mozzarella and cheddar cheese
- 3.5 pounds Sweet potatoes Peeled, Thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp Parsley Fresh, Roughly chopped, For garnish
Heat butter in a nonstick pot or pan over medium-high heat until fully melted.
Add garlic and saute until golden brown. Don't let it burn.
Add flour and mix until combined. It won't be super smooth.
Mix in milk, heavy cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, salt, pepper, ginger powder, Italian seasoning.
Bring the mixture to a boil and then remove from heat.
Mix in half the mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese. If the cheese mixture is too thick, you can mix in 1/4 cup more milk or heavy cream.
Arrange the sliced sweet potatoes in a large baking dish or casserole dish (Dimensions: 9×13).
Pour the cheese mixture on top.
Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top.
Cover with foil paper and bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
Then, remove foil and bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes until top is golden brown and cheesy mixture is bubbling and sweet potatoes are cooked through and tender.
Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy!
Note: To make this a one pan side dish, prepare the cheese mixture in a large oven-safe skillet on stovetop and then gently mix in the sliced sweet potatoes. You can also arrange them nicely but you will have to make sure the sweet potatoes are fully covered with the cheese mixture. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake. Then, remove foil and bake. This way, you won't have to make a casserole dish dirty.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.