Easy Frito Pie (Chili Pie)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy Frito pie recipe (chili pie), homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. Full of ground beef, beans, corn, salsa, enchilada sauce, corn chips, cheese, taco seasoning.
If you are looking for a simple yet delicious meal for your family on one of those “What do I make for dinner?” nights, then this is the one! It’s a nice combination bursting with tasty Mexican flavor. Just toss it in the oven and enjoy in no time at all to give everyone a happy belly and more time to enjoy family time. Check out these other chili recipes for another night of yum: Sweet Potato Chili (One Pot), Vegetarian Chili (One Pot), Chili Mac Recipe (One Pot), and this Easy Chili Recipe (One Pot)
How to make Frito pie recipe from scratch?
- Cook beef– And drain grease.
- Add other ingredients– This includes onions, garlic, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, enchilada sauce, salsa, beans, corn.
- Mix– Until combined.
- Continue cooking– Until chili is thickened.
- Assemble– Spread mixture in casserole dish, top with cheese and Frito chips.
- Bake– Until cheese is fully melted.
What sides to serve with Mexican Frito chili pie?
There are many great sides to serve with this Mexican dish! I recommend pairing it with vegetables, such as salad, corn, or green beans.
Try a salad:
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Three Bean Salad (One Bowl)
- Mexican Corn Salad Recipe (One Bowl)
- Tomato Avocado Salad (One Bowl)
- Cherry Tomato Salad (One Bowl)
Try other veggies:
- Mexican Corn on the Cob (One Pan)
- Boiling Corn on the Cob (One Pot)
- Grilled Corn on the Cob
- Sautéed Green Beans (One Pot)
- Oven Roasted Green Beans (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Carrots (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Beets (One Pan)
Bisquick chili pie with cornbread crust– Instead of Fritos chips, top with Bisquick cornbread batter. Bake until an inserted toothpick into the cornbread comes out clean.
Frito pie in a bag– If you want to make this recipe even easier, simply get a bag of Fritos and put the chili mixture and toppings by the spoonful in each individual bag. This makes an easy dinner on the go or for when you have to feed a lot of people at a gathering. Plus, you don’t have to worry about bowls or plates!
Try other cheeses– Instead of cheddar you can use other cheeses, such as Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Colby Jack, Queso Fresco, or even Feta. You can also switch it up by melting the cheeses to drizzle over the top.
Try other chips– Although Fritos are the classic choice, you can also try other options, such as regular tortilla chips or various flavors of Doritos.
Try other beans– Such as garbanzo, cannelini, pinto, black or red kidney beans.
Add veggies– Such as broccoli, carrots or frozen bag of mixed vegetables.
Savory Pie Toppings
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce (One Pot)
- Chopped fresh herbs
- Salsa- Salsa Verde (Blender), Corn Salsa (One Bowl), Mango Salsa (One Bowl), Pineapple Salsa (One Bowl), or Strawberry Salsa (One Bowl).
- Pico de Gallo Salsa (One Bowl)
- Sliced olives
- Chopped jalapeños, or other peppers of your choice
- Sour cream
- Chopped lettuce
- Green chilis
Tips and Techniques
Bottom layer of Fritos– Many recipes add a layer of Fritos at the bottom of the dish, but that makes the chips very soggy and adds a very odd texture. I don’t recommend it.
Why is my pie soggy? How to fix it? Make sure to add a layer of cheese before piling on the Fritos, because it will help protect the chips from getting too wet and soggy from the chili.
Why is my chili filling so runny? How to fix it? You may have added too much salsa or maybe it was too thin of a mixture. To fix it, you can add more beans or let the chili mixture simmer uncovered until more of the moisture cooks out.
Why is my chili filling so thick and dry? How to fix it? This is an easy fix! Simply add water until the chili reaches your desired consistency.
Adjust amount of salsa, enchilada sauce, taco seasoning– Add more or less based on your preference.
Use full fat cheese– Because it’s richer and creamier than low fat versions.
Drain grease– Because it prevents the meal from becoming too oily.
Make ahead instructions You can make the chili mixture up to 2 days ahead of time and store in the fridge. When you are ready to serve, assemble by spreading the chili mixture in a dish, top with cheese and Fritos and bake.
Refrigerator– Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave, but the corn chips won’t be as crispy any more.
Freezer- This is not recommended, because the chips will become soggy and the cheese will separate, creating an odd texture.
More One Pot Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole (One Pot)
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole (One Pan)
- Green Bean Casserole (One Pot)
- Meatball Casserole (One Pot)
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole (One Pan)
One Pot Frito Pie (Chili Pie)
- 1 pound Ground beef
- 1 cup Onion, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic , Finely minced
- 1 packet Taco seasoning, 1 oz. packet
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 cup Enchilada sauce
- 1 cup Salsa, Chunky
- 1 can Beans, Kidney beans or black beans or chili beans, Drained, Rinsed, 15 oz. can
- 1/2 cup Frozen corn
- 1 cup Monterey jack cheese, Shredded, Full fat
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese , Shredded, Full fat
- 3-4 cups Frito corn chips, Adjust according to your preference
- Heat a large nonstick pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add ground beef and cook until no longer pink.
- Drain the grease.
- Add onions, garlic, taco seasoning, salt, pepper, enchilada sauce, salsa, beans, corn and mix until combined.
- Continue cooking for 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender and chili is thickened to your desired consistency. If mixture is too thick, add some water to thin it to your preference.
- Spread this chili mixture evenly in a greased casserole dish (Dimensions: 9×13).
- Sprinkle half the Monterey jack cheese and half the cheddar cheese on top of the chili.
- Then, sprinkle Frito chips.
- Finally, sprinkle remaining Monterey jack cheese and remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted. Enjoy!
- Note: To make this a truly one pot meal, brown the meat in a large oven-safe skillet on stovetop and then, remove from heat. Add the cheese and Frito chips on top and bake in oven. This way, you don't need make a casserole dish dirty.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave but the corn chips won’t be as crispy any more.