Creamy Cauliflower Casserole (One Pot)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy creamy cauliflower casserole recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pot in 30 minutes. Full of 3 types of cheeses- cream cheese, mozzarella, cheddar!
This is the best and creamiest casserole! Loaded with 3 different kinds of cheese, it checks all the boxes of mouth-watering goodness. In 30 minutes flat, turn plain, boring cauliflower into the dish everyone will be asking for all the time. This Instant Pot Cheesy Cauliflower and Garlic Mashed Cauliflower (One Pot) are two more great ways to transform this vegetable into flavorful, low-carb side dishes.
How To Make Creamy Cauliflower Casserole Recipe With Cheese From Scratch?
- Steam cauliflower– In microwave.
- Transfer to casserole dish– Along with butter, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese.
- Mix- And spread mixture.
- Sprinkle cheese– On top of casserole.
- Bake– Until top is golden brown.
- Garnish– With fresh parsley.
What To Serve With Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole?
Serve this heavier side with just about any protein- based main course to balance the creaminess.
- Oven Baked Spatchcock Chicken (One Pan)
- Cajun Chicken (One Pot)
- Grilled Chicken Breast (One Pot)
- Paprika Chicken (One Pot)
- 40 Cloves Garlic Chicken (One Pot)
- Perfect Roast Beef (One Pot)
- Fried Sausage And Cabbage (One Pot)
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites (One Pot)
- Instant Pot Shredded Beef
With the holidays coming, this side would accompany Turkey nicely as well.
- Roast Turkey Breast
- Easy Thanksgiving Turkey (One Pan)
- Shredded Turkey Tacos (With Thanksgiving Leftovers)
How To Steam Casserole?
Here are the directions for 2 different methods:
- You can buy frozen cauliflower bags that can be steamed in the microwave according to the packaged directions.
- Steam in a covered heat-proof bowl with 1/2 cup water.
- This takes about 5- 8 minutes.
- Place the cut florets into a steamer basket or a colander in a pot.
- Cover the bottom of the pot with about 1/2 inch of water.
- Cover the pot with a lid, and bring the water to a simmer.
- Steam the cauliflower until it is partially cooked.
Variations For Vegetarian Casserole
Loaded broccoli cauliflower casserole- Add some steamed broccoli for more color and added nutrition.
Chicken cauliflower casserole– For a heartier version, add chicken to make this side a complete meal.
Try other cheeses– Such as pepper jack, colby jack, provolone, or even goat cheese.
Try other seasonings- Such as Cajun, Mexican, Greek, or Italian seasoning.
Add mayo– Add about 2 Tablespoons of mayo to make the end result even creamier.
Ranch cauliflower casserole– Add a packet of dry ranch seasoning to add even more flavor.
Add caramelized onions– For a richer and deeper flavor.
Use Greek yogurt– Replace sour cream with Greek yogurt for a slightly healthier version.
Add a crispy crunchy topping– Crushed Ritz crackers or cornflakes make a great crispy topping.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or even jalapenos.
Add thinly sliced green onions– On top as a garnish.
Tips And Techniques For Loaded Cauliflower Bake
Why is my casserole watery? Make sure to pat the cauliflower as dry as possible. Any extra water can make the casserole runny.
How to thicken casserole? Bake uncovered for longer to evaporate excess liquid.
Use freshly shredded cheeses– The pre-packaged ones have additives that can lead to grainy results.
Use frozen cauliflower steamer bags– This saves time, if you are in a hurry.
Use full-fat ingredients– Because this provides the best and richest flavor.
Use unsalted butter– Because this prevents the dish from becoming too salty.
What size casserole dish to use? I recommend a large dish like a 9×13.
How to know when the casserole is done? Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and top is turning golden brown.
Refrigerate– Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze– I do not recommend freezing this because of all of the dairy. It will separate upon thawing and not be as appetizing.
Reheat– In the microwave until warmed through.
More One Pot Cauliflower Recipes
- Roasted Cauliflower Steak (One Pan)
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (One Pan)
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan)
- Oven Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan)
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (One Pot)
One Pot Cauliflower Casserole
- 1 head Cauliflower, Large head, Washed, Patted Dry, Cut into small florets
- 2 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- Salt, To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1/2 cup Sour cream, Full fat
- 1/2 cup Cream cheese, Full fat
- 2 tbsp Milk, Whole or 2%
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese, Full fat, Shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, Full fat, Shredded
- 1-2 tsp Parsley, Fresh, Finely chopped, For topping
- Steam cauliflower in microwave in a covered heat-proof bowl with 1/2 cup water. This takes about 5- 8 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Note: You can also replace fresh cauliflower with frozen cauliflower bags that can be steamed in the microwave.
- Transfer cauliflower to a large casserole dish (Dimensions: 9×13).
- Add butter, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, sour cream, cream cheese, milk, half the cheddar cheese, half the mozzarella cheese.
- Mix gently until combined.
- Spread mixture evenly in the dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese and mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly and top is turning golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the microwave.