Roasted Cauliflower Steak (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick, easy, crispy oven roasted cauliflower steak recipe, homemade with simple ingredients in one pan in 30 minutes. Enjoy as an entree or a side dish.
Cauliflower is such a great vegetable choice, because it doesn’t have much of a flavor on its own but can take on a lot of flavor from spices and herbs. While bland is not usually a good thing in the culinary world, it is in this case. A blank slate means you can make it taste however you want with the right seasonings. In this case the Italian seasoning, garlic, and parmesan cheese make these vegetarian steaks taste like savory Italian side or main dish, if you are having a vegeterian meal. This Whole Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan), and this Oven Roasted Cauliflower (One Pan) make great side or main dishes as well.
What Is A Cauliflower Steak? Why Is It Called A Steak?
It is a 1 inch thick whole slice from a head of cauliflower. So instead of chopping it into florets, you have a steak sized cross section of the whole cauliflower head. The size of it is why it is referred to as a steak as well as the fact that is often replaces the meat portion of vegetarian and vegan meals.
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower Steak Recipe From Scratch?
- Coat Cauliflower– Place steaks on baking trays, and brush olive oil on both sides of the cauliflowers.
- Season it– Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning on both sides.
- Bake– Until bottom and edges are golden brown. Then, broil until tops are golden brown and crispy.
- Top it– With parsley and parmesan cheese (optional).
- Enjoy!– Serve immediately.
How To Cut Cauliflower?
First, wash the cauliflower and pat it dry. Then, hold the cauliflower with its base on the cutting board, after removing its leaves and stem end. Use a sharp knife to cut it in half. Then, cut each half into 2 more thick 1 inch slices.
What To Serve With Oven Baked Crispy Cauliflower Steak? What Do You Eat With Vegetarian Steaks?
These can be enjoyed as a main course/entree or as a side dish. Serve these steaks alongside soups such as:
- Instant Pot Pumpkin Soup
- Cream of Broccoli Soup (One Pot)
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup (One Pot)
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup (One Pot)
- Carrot Ginger Soup (One Pot)
Salads also make a healthy and delicious side to these steaks such as the following:
- Green Salad (One Bowl)
- Easy Kale Salad (One Bowl)
- Pumpkin Salad (One Bowl)
- Italian Chopped Salad (One Bowl)
Rice is also a hearty side to serve along with these cauliflower steaks.
- Mushroom Rice Pilaf (One Pot)
- Dirty Rice (One Pot)
- Easy Rice Pilaf (One Pot)
- Sausage And Rice (One Pot)
Cauliflower Steak Sauce And Toppings-
- Best Chimichurri Sauce (Blender)
- Basil Pesto Sauce (Blender)
- Cheddar Cheese Sauce (One Pot)
- Garlic White Pizza Sauce (One Pot)
- Salsa– Salsa Verde (Blender), Corn Salsa (One Bowl), Mango Salsa (One Bowl), or Pineapple Salsa (One Bowl).
- Spicy Arrabbiata Sauce (One Pot)
- Homemade Marinara Sauce (One Pot)
- Tzatziki Sauce (One Bowl)
- Yogurt– Such as plain Greek yogurt
- Sour cream
- Ranch sauce
- Buffalo sauce
- Fresh herbs– Such as basil, cilantro, mint, chives, etc.
- Shredded cheese– Such as Parmesan, Asiago, Mozzarella, or Romano.
Try other seasonings– Such as Cajun, Mexican, Greek, Curry, or other favorite combinations.
Indian Cauliflower Steak Marinade– Make a tandoori marinade by mixing together tandoori masala with yogurt, ginger, and garlic paste. Marinate the steaks for 30 minutes and then bake or pan fry.
Grilled cauliflower steaks– Oil and season the cauliflower, and grill them instead of roasting them.
Pan fry these steaks– Oil and season according to the recipe and then pan fry.
Fry them– Season the steaks and then fry them in oil.
Air fry them– lightly oil and season the steaks and air fry them for a quick version.
Make it a pizza steak– Top with cheese, pepperoni, and dip in Homemade Pizza Sauce (One Pot).
Add a zest– Such as lemon or lime.
Cauliflower Cacciatore– Just use the cauliflower steaks in place of chicken.
Make it spicy– Add red chili flakes, cayenne pepper, or even jalapenos if you like.
Tips And Techniques
Do not flip the steaks– They are very delicate and they will break if you try to flip them.
What to do with small cauliflower florets? You will end up with these smaller pieces as you make the big slices. Just roast them in the over separately or use them in salads or soups.
Choose cauliflower wisely– Look at the shape, and choose one that will be large enough to cut thick slices.
Oil both sides of the cauliflower steaks– This helps it to roast and crisp properly and also helps to prevent it from sticking and breaking when removing it from the baking tray.
Line the trays with aluminum foil– This makes for easy clean up and also helps to prevent sticking.
How to know when the steaks are done? Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until bottom and edges are golden brown. Then, broil and bake for another 3-5 minutes until tops are golden brown and crispy too.
Serve the steaks immediately– This is when they are the crispiest and taste best.
Refrigerate– These are best served immediately, but can be stored in a sealed container for up to 2 days.
Freeze– These do not freeze well, because they will be mushy when thawed due to the high water content.
Reheat– In the microwave or oven.
More One Pot Cauliflower Recipes
- Instant Pot Cheesy Cauliflower
- Garlic Mashed Cauliflower (One Pot)
- Baked Buffalo Cauliflower Wings (One Pan)
- Cauliflower Fried Rice (One Pot)
One Pan Roasted Cauliflower Steak
- 2 heads Cauliflower, Medium size, Washed, Patted Dry, Cut lengthwise to 1 inch thickness
- 1/4 cup Olive oil
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 2-3 tsp Italian seasoning, Adjust according to your preference
- 1 tbsp Parsley, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For topping
- 1-2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, Shredded or grated, I skipped it this time
- Place cauliflower steaks on large baking trays, lined with aluminum foil. You may have to use two baking trays, depending on the size of your cauliflower.
- Drizzle or brush olive oil on both sides of the cauliflowers.
- Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning on both sides.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until bottom and edges are golden brown. Then, broil and bake for another 3-5 minutes until tops are golden brown and crispy too.
- Top with parsley and parmesan cheese (optional).
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best and crispy when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave or oven.