Leftover Turkey Quesadilla (One Pan)
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Quick and easy leftover turkey quesadilla recipe, homemade on stovetop with simple ingredients in one pan in 10 minutes. Full of cheddar cheese, peppers, taco seasoning and salsa.
Quesadillas are one of my go-to meals in a pinch. Kids and adults alike enjoy this simple, quick meal and it can be done in a variety of ways to please just about anyone. A few other varieties I enjoy are the Ground Beef Quesadilla (One Pan), Chicken Quesadilla (One Pan), Best Quesadilla (One Pan), and Vegetarian Quesadilla (One Pan).
How to make leftover Thanksgiving turkey quesadilla recipe from scratch?
- Saute’- Onions and garlic in oil using a large nonstick pan.
- Mix in– Salsa, shredded turkey, taco seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cook– For about 3-5 minutes till meat is warmed through.
- Turn off heat- Then mix in lemon juice.
- Garnish– With cilantro, place on a plate, and set aside.
- Clean– The pan then heat about 1 tsp butter on medium heat.
- Place– a tortilla on top of the melted butter.
- Sprinkle– Cheddar cheese, shredded turkey, and vegetable fajitas or pepper, then top with more cheese.
- Cover and cook– About 1 minute to melt the cheese.
- Remove lid– And fold one side of the tortilla to the other side.
- Press down– The top with a spatula until both sides stick together.
- Cook– Both sides until crispy.
- Transfer– To a cutting board and cut in half.
- Repeat and Enjoy!
What to serve with shredded turkey quesadilla?
These can be served as is or alongside a more hearty soup, such as Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup (One Pot), Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup, or Chicken Corn Soup (One Pot). You can also serve something lighter, such as a vegetable or salad, like this Mexican Corn on the Cob (One Pan), Mexican Corn Salad, Oven Roasted Vegetables (One Pan), or this delicious Tomato Avocado Salad.
How to make crispy quesadillas?
Be sure that you are cooking the tortillas uncovered for most of the time on a medium high heat and use only a small amount of oil or butter for a nice, crisp outer tortilla.
Adjust quantities– Of various ingredients, such as salsa, lemon juice, or taco seasoning to your liking.
Try different flavors of salsas–
- Salsa Verde (Blender)
- Cranberry Salsa (One Pot)
- Corn Salsa (One Bowl)
- Mango Salsa (One Bowl)
- Pineapple Salsa (One Bowl)
- Strawberry Salsa (One Bowl)
- Pico De Gallo (One Bowl)
Add beans– Refried beans are a great addition, but you can also use black beans, or kidney beans.
Add corn– You can use steamed, boiled, or even strained canned corn.
Try other cheeses– Such as mozzarella, parmesan, Monterey jack, provolone, feta, or cream cheese.
Add other Thanksgiving Leftovers– That can be used as filling or a side, such as Apple Cranberry Chutney (One Pot), Cranberry Brie Bites (One Pot), Easy Cranberry Relish (One Bowl), or Homemade Cranberry Sauce Recipe (One Pot).
Tips and techniques
- Use soft tortillas- To make the best quesadilla, use a soft flour or corn tortillas, because they give the best texture and taste in this recipe.
- Don’t cook on high heat- Because this will lead to burning and no one wants a crispy, black tortilla that falls to ashes in their mouth!
- Nonstick pan- This makes it easier to clean up any stray, melted cheese from the pan. It also helps so that the tortillas don’t stick to the pan burn as easily.
- Butter vs. oil- I like to use unsalted butter, because it gives a better flavor (not too salty), but either options can be used.
- Make a head- These can be made up to 1 day before serving. When ready, warm on the stove in a non-stick pan on low heat.
Fridge- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheat in the microwave. However, it’s best served warm and crispy.
Freezer- Wrap them in plastic wrap and freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 month. Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
More One pot Mexican recipes
- Instant Pot Mexican Soup
- Mexican Shredded Chicken (One Pot)
- Easy Instant Pot Taco Soup
- Cheesy Taco Pasta (One Pot)
- Easy Frito Pie (Chili Pie)
More one pot Thanksgiving leftovers recipes
- Shredded Turkey Tacos (With Thanksgiving Leftovers)
- Turkey Noodle Soup (One Pot)
- Turkey Salad (One Pot)
- Harvest Fall Salad (One Bowl)
- Instant Ham Bone Soup (With Leftover Ham)
One Pan Turkey Quesadilla
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 cup Onions, Finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, Finely minced
- 1/4 cup Salsa
- 3 cups Thanksgiving turkey, Already cooked, Shredded
- 1.5 tbsp Taco seasoning
- Salt , To taste
- Pepper, To taste
- 1-2 tsp Lemon juice, Or lime juice, Adjust according to your preference
- 1 tbsp Cilantro, Fresh, Roughly chopped, For garnish
- 2-3 tbsp Butter, Unsalted
- 4 Tortillas, 9 inches
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese, Full fat, Shredded, Can replace with Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup Vegetable fajitas, Or replace with use thinly sliced red/green peppers
- Heat oil in a large nonstick pot or pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, garlic and saute until garlic is fragrant and onions are softened are translucent.
- Add salsa, shredded turkey, taco seasoning, salt, pepper and mix until combined.
- Cook for about 3-5 minutes or until shredded meat is warmed through.
- Turn off heat and mix in lemon juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and transfer to a plate and keep aside.
- Clean the pan and heat about 1 tsp butter on medium heat.
- Place a tortilla on top of the melted butter.
- Sprinkle some cheddar cheese, followed by shredded turkey and vegetable fajitas (or peppers) and finally followed by some more cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook for about 1 minute to speed up the "cheese melting" process.
- Remove lid and use a spatula to fold one side of the tortilla to the other side.
- Press down the top with a spatula until both sides stick together. The melted cheese works like glue.
- Cook both sides (uncovered) until crispy.
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut in half.
- Do the same with remaining tortillas and Enjoy!
- Read all my tips above.
- Tastes best and crispy when served immediately but leftovers can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in the microwave.